Flavor Notes: Semi-Sweet Chocolate, Brown Sugar, Citrus
Origin: CECANOR Co-op, Lambayeque region, Northern Peru
Varietals: Typica, Catimor, Bourbon, Gran Colombia, Villa Sarchi
Certifications: USDA Organic & Fair Trade
Roast Level: Medium
The Central de Cafetaleros del Nor Orienta (CECANOR) cooperative of coffee farmers was established in the Lambayeque region of Northern Peru in 1999. Since becoming Fair Trade certified, the revenue generated through sales has allowed the cooperative to improve over 100 kilometers of roads, promote quality control over their coffee growing practices, provide pre-harvest credit to farmers during the off season, and employ healthcare professionals.
The cooperative is also committed to empowering women farmers. In 2004, Organic Products Trading Company (OPTCO), CECANOR Cooperative, PROASSA, CICAP, and Cordaid joined together to support over 460 women coffee producers of Peru by giving them a sense of social and financial independence through the Cafe Femenino coffee project. The goal of the project was to allow the women to grow and harvest their own coffee under the name: Cafe Femenino. Today, with the popularity and success of the program, Cafe Femenino has expanded into several different countries to help and empower over 4000 women.
Ways the program achieves these goals:
- Focusing on an equal distribution of labor
- Providing women with their own income
- Requiring women to be listed on land deeds
- Including women in leadership and decision-making
How the program makes a difference within the community:
- A 2¢ premium (per pound) over the Fair Trade price is paid directly to the women coffee growers participating in the Café Feminino Program, and is to be used solely at the discretion of the women.
- For each pound of Café Feminino coffee purchased by JVG, 5¢ is donated to the Café Feminino Foundation. The foundation funds projects proposed by the women in the program.
For other coffee options from the Café Femenino farmers, we also roast and distribute Café Femenino Coffee. Visit the Café Femenino Coffee site.